Where to go when, in 2023. Festivals, sports, art, music, nature, gastronomy and more.
85 ideas so you can travel to the right place at the best time, to experience something completely unique.
Top Destinations: Anguilla is perfect in January, especially as a combination with St Barths. Try Cap Juluca and Rosewood Le Guanahani.
- Michelin-starred chef Anne-Sophie Pic has a pop up culinary residency at One&Only Le Saint Geran, Mauritius.
- The Two Michelin-starred Astrance restaurant by Pascal Barbot has a residency at Flying Sauces, Soneva Fushi in the Maldives.
- Wildebeest begin calving in the Serengeti, the ultimate time to see big cats out hunting on a Tanzania safari.
- January is the best time to explore the wilderness of Chile, including Patagonia.
Top Destinations: February boasts amazing weather in Southeast Asia. How about combining an exclusive beach stay in Thailand, like Soneva Kiri or Six Senses Yao Noi, with an adventure in Vietnam or Cambodia?
- Venice carnival runs from 4 – 21 February.
- Super Bowl LVII is in Arizona on February 12th.
- A new Johannes Vermeer exhibition opens on February 10th at the Rijsmuseum, Amsterdam.
- It’s fashion week in New York (February 10 – 15), London (February 17 – 21), Milan (February 21 – 27) and Paris (February 27 – March 7).
- Rio Carnival is celebrated from 17 – 25 February. There are smaller and equally captivating festivities across Brazil during this time.
- February 21st is Mardi Gras in New Orleans.
- WorldPride 2023 is in Sydney, from 17 February to 5 March.
Top Destination: The weather is ideal for a diverse holiday in Costa Rica, combining volcanoes, cloud forests, Pacific beaches, Caribbean beaches and wildlife.
- Excessive solar activity makes March the best month to witness the Northern Lights in Lapland.
- The original Holi Festival in India is on March 8th.
- Check out the incredible street art and festivities of Las Fallas in Valencia, Spain.
- Tomorrowland Winter Edition is 18 – 24 March in Alpe d’Huez in the French Alps.
- Melbourne Food & Wine Festival is from March 24th to April 2nd. It’s the best gastronomic showcase in Australia.
- March is the start of trekking season in Nepal.
- Adele finishes her Vegas residency – here are some VIP packages for 2022.
Top Destination: It’s hard to beat the Maldives with its sunny days, comfortable nights and ideal conditions for diving. Which of the best Maldives resorts will you choose?
- Early April is usually the best time to see the sakura (cherry blossom) in Japan. It’s when most of the country is in full bloom.
- It’s Tulip Festival throughout April in Amsterdam, with the flowers flourishing across the Netherlands.
- The world’s largest Easter celebration is in Antigua, Guatemala, the entire week leading up to Sunday April 9th.
- The iconic Coachella music festival is 14 – 23 April, in the Colorado Desert, in California, USA.
Top Destination: The summer starts early in Portugal and you can beat the crowds by going in May, combining a city stay in Lisbon or Porto with beach exploration in Madeira or the Algarve.
- Two time world champion kitesurfer Youri Zoon is giving private lessons throughout all of May at COMO Cocoa Island in the Maldives.
- New Orleans Jazz Festival is April 29th to May 8th.
- The Giro d’Italia cycling race is a great excuse to be in Italy from 6 – 28 May.
- Cannes Film Festival is 16 – 27 May .
- The Monaco Grand Prix is on May 28th. Try this ultimate four-night VIP package.
Top Destination: Beat the peak summer crowds by jetting off for a week in Greece, on an island like Santorini, Mykonos or Crete.
- The 2023 UEFA Champions League Final is June 10th in Istanbul.
- Will 2023 be Rafael Nadal’s final appearance at Roland Garros in Paris? The final is June 11th.
- The World Sacred Music Festival takes place in Fez, Morocco, 12 – 20 June.
- The Okavango Delta floods, attracting scores of big animals and making this the best month for a safari in Botswana.
Where Will You Travel in 2023?
Top Destinations: For a more private and exclusive summer holiday explore some of the world’s remote islands, like in Galapagos, French Polynesia, Fiji or the Faroe Islands.
- If you’re a Max Verstappen fan don’t miss the Austrian Grand Prix on July 2nd.
- And what cycling fan could miss the Tour de France (1 – 23 July)?
- Montreal Jazz Festival is June 29th to July 8th in Canada and the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland is June 30th to July 15th.
- Over a million wildebeest start crossing the Mara River as part of the great wildebeest migration. Witness the spectacle on a safari in Kenya.
- Experience archery, horse racing and wrestling, during the famous Naadam festival in Mongolia on 10 – 12 July.
- Wimbledon tennis is 3 – 16 July.
- It’s the world’s biggest reggae festival in the home of reggae. 16 – 22 July is Reggae Sumfest in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
- Andrea Bocelli does a private concert on July 27th, at his hometown in Tuscany, at his own open-air theatre, Teatro del Silenzio.
Top Destinations: Most people travel south in August, but how about going north? Where you can experience the long days and beautiful landscapes of Norway, Sweden and Finland. They’re great family destinations too.
- Salzburg Music Festival continues throughout August, with a superb series of opera and classical concerts.
- The spiritual Pati Ka Du’a Bapu Ata Mata festival and August 17th Independence Day are further reasons why Indonesia is best visited in August.
- Notting Hill Carnival is one of the world’s biggest street parties, 26 – 28 August in London.
- Burning Man in Black Rock Desert, Nevada, is from August 27th to September 4th.
- How about the world’s biggest food fight? 50,000 people spend an hour throwing tomatoes at each other during La Tomatina on August 30th, in Bunol, Spain.
Top Destination: Italy is calling you! It’s a little cooler and quieter after August, a great time to explore anywhere in the country, from Florence to Sicily and Sardinia.
- Experience the harvest season in Champagne, Bordeaux or Tuscany.
- It’s fashion week again. 15 – 19 September in London, 19 – 25 September in Milan, September 25th to October 3rd in Paris.
- The Rugby World Cup is from September 8th to October 21st in France.
- The end of the dry season makes September a perfect time for gorilla trekking and chimpanzee trekking in Rwanda.
Top Destinations: This is an amazing time to visit Mauritius or the Seychelles, although it’s not typically advertised as such, so you can get good rates on the best hotels.
- Oktoberfest in Munich ends on October 3rd (it starts on September 16th).
- Is there a better global food city than New York? It’s NYC Wine & Food Festival on 13 – 16 October.
- Albuquerque is not just famous as the setting for Breaking Bad. From 7 – 15 October it’s home to the world’s biggest hot air balloon festival.
- October is the end of the dry season but it’s after the peak season, a superb time for a safari in Zambia or South Africa.
Top Destinations: We love the Middle East destinations at this time of year, as the weather is ideal for both beach holidays and exploration. Try Oman if you’ve already done Dubai a few times.
- Mexico’s remarkable Day of the Dead festival is on November 2nd, with a big parade in Mexico City and festivities across the country.
- The Alma Festival of Spirituality is 2 – 5 November, at Six Senses Ibiza.
- The Winter Festival of Lights at Niagara Falls starts on November 12th.
- November 25th is the Chiang Mai Lantern Festival in northern Thailand. Escape the crowds at Four Seasons Tented Camp Golden Triangle.
- The Formula 1 season finale is in Abu Dhabi on November 26th. These were the 2022 VIP packages.
Top Destinations: The winter ski seasons are starting and we all have our favourite places for Christmas. But how about a really exotic holiday to end the year. December is great for sunshine in Colombia, Antarctica and Cuba.
- 8 – 11 December is The Lyon Festival of Lights, a magical way to experience France’s most interesting city.
- Marina Abramovic’s solo exhibition at the Royal Academy, London, closes on December 10th.
- It’s time for the Christmas markets across Europe. How about a shopping weekend with a stay at Rosewood Vienna?
- The Winter Solstice is on December 22nd. Why not celebrating it at Angkor Wat in Cambodia or Luxor Temple in Egypt?
Your 2023 Travel Calendar
So where will you go in 2023? What dates are big on your travel calendar?
We hope you found some inspiration on our 2023 travel calendar and look forward to creating your unique holidays.